[Tutor] Looking for a forgiving environment

Pijus Virketis virketis@fas.harvard.edu
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 01:47:18 -0500

Danny,

> You may want to see if your Internet Service Provider hosts a newsserver.
> Many of them do, with names like 'smtp.foo.bar'.

I might be wrong, but shouldn't newsservers be "nntp.foo.bar"? SMTP is
"standard mail transfer protocol", unless I am mistaken.

Getting back to the original question, most universities and places of that
sort also have newsservers. Look for "Usenet" in Google, and you will find
long lists of candidates. Then, all you need is a newsreader. If you run
Linux, anything from the humble tin to the - forgive me :) - excessive Emacs
will be ready to do your bidding. If you use Windows, check out
cnet.com/downloads: you'll find one there.

Cheers,

Pijus