Python for RAD (was: [Tutor] Re: q about method(self))

Ashish Shrestha lists@shrestha.net.np
Sun, 01 Sep 2002 22:24:21 +0545

we use jython to "prototype" our java apps. actually we start writing
the apps in jython and then look at the parts that need to be
"optimised" and move that part to java.

when you actually write and test it the portion we need to move to java
is like 5 to 10 percent.

we once wrote an xmlrpc client server in jython using the xmlrpc library
from pythonware. just for measuring performance we rewrote the jython
app to use the apache xmlrpc library in java (not as compact and easy as
in pure python). sure there were quite a difference.

server   client   timing in milliseconds
python   python   22362
java     python   5837
python   java     3209
java     java     681

java = apache xmlrpc library
python = pythonware xmlrpc library

well looks quite an improvement.

guess what! we didn't really bother to move the one that we had deployed
at the client's system to java. it was good enough for them.

frankly, we prototype in jython and then it is usually good enough to be
deployed.

ashish shrestha
http://www.nyatapol.com.np
jid: axhixh@jabber.org