[Tutor] Java and Python (was: Iterators)

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:17:31 +0100

> use Jython. Java would seem to be caught between something
> that rocks and a hard case.
>
> Or am I missing something?

Nope. Java is an overhyped phenomenon that is winning hearts
for some extremely nebulous reasons.

Its significantly slower than C++ but aside from garbage
collection offers few advantages. It certainly does NOT
save on lines of code - almost all the real world
conversions I've seen have had more code in Java
than in C++!

Its slightly faster than Python but I have seen cases
of Perl beating it. Frankly the choice of programming
in either Java or Perl is not one I'd like to make
but I'd probably choose Perl coz the pain would last
for less time!

The other big advantage of Java over C++ is it does
have a pretty vast class library. The C++ STL is miniscule
in comparison to the Java classes but OTOH thats
a big API to learn....

Alan g