[Tutor] Java and Python (was: Iterators)

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 15:15:24 -0400

Alan writes -

> Nope. Java is an overhyped phenomenon that is winning hearts
> for some extremely nebulous reasons.

Unfortunately, one of those reasons came from decent instincts.

Java seemed to have the center-piece of an UnMicrosoft campaign -
or at least was marketed (implicitly, at least) as such.

Isn't there something to a claim that Java has been a decent
alternative where cross or multiple platform issues exist.

In the business world in which I interact, the AS400, for example, is
a powerful presence. Java seems to have the potential of opening
up that black box to a much wider development community.

It is true, I think, that more recently things have gone in a direction
where
there are more alternatives for true cross-platform deveopment - good choice
of
crossplatform GUI's for example.  But that wasn't nearly as true during
Java's take-off.   And in the interim Java seems to have achieved enough
of a critical mass of support from major players like IBM and Oracle, to
expect that it is a juggernaut not likely to recede for the foreseeable
future.

Or so it seems to me.

Art