[Tutor] Question about socket connections

Rob Brown-Bayliss rob@zoism.org
20 Sep 2002 08:16:19 +1200

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 05:10, Ashish Shrestha wrote:
> why don't you check out xmlrpc at http://www.xmlrpc.com
>
> get a python implementation from http://www.pythonware.com

I have looked at xmlrpc, and it works fine for a server but being based
on the socket server module is not really suitable for communication
between gui apps, at least in my opinion.

The problem comes from it spawning a new instance of the handler calls
for each request.  So the handler needs to then talk to the app, to do
that it needs to have the app reference passed to it, and this has to be
passed to the server object to pass to the handler object and it just
starts to look messy which to me means it's not a good solution.

And then there is the triplicate problem, the client needs a routine to
ask the server, which needs a routine to ask the app which needs a
routine to do the task for every thing, and then to the clients  the
clients need their own server and so on,

I havent done anything about it for over a week, but I am planning on
looking at spread which some one mentiond here,

--

*
*  Rob Brown-Bayliss