[Tutor] What IDE do you prefer?

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 01:54:05 +0200

At 18:24 2002-09-21 -0500, Steve Lewis wrote:
>Just curious. What are some of your favorite IDEs and/or text editors?

I've mainly used PythonWin, SciTE, vim and emacs. They all have
syntax highlighting for Python, allow programs to be executed
from the editor, and at least PythonWin and SciTE are folding
editors, which I like. Vim is certainly a bit difficult to get
used to... Many people seem to like WingIDE. Be aware that for
instance IDLE and PythonWin execute python programs in the same
process as the editor/IDE is running. This makes it impossible
to run GUI applications from within those. At least if they are
written with a different GUI toolkit such as wxPython. But it's
not a big problem to edit files in PythonWin and start them
from a command prompt.

If you want to try out a few, look at:
http://www.thinkware.se/cgi-bin/thinki.cgi/PythonEditing
and