[Tutor] Re: What IDE do you prefer?

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 23:50:10 -0400

--zaRBsRFn0XYhEU69

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 12:29:07PM +0200, Scot W. Stevenson wrote:
| Hello Steve,=20
|=20
| > Just curious. What are some of your favorite IDEs and/or text editors?
|=20
| If you use all ten fingers to type, definitely take the time to learn vim=
=20
| for both. It has wonderful Python support (including automatically=20
| continuing comments), there is a version for every platform, and you will=
=20
| only have to learn how to use one editor for the rest of you life.=20

Ditto.

In addition to learning vim, take the time to learn your (UNIX) OS.
It comes with batteries ;-).  What I mean is that it has all the tools
and functionality you'll need already there and in modular components
you can plug-n-play with any way you like.  For example, use 'ctags'
to generate a tags file that vim can use to jump around your code.
Use 'find' and 'grep' and the like to search for stuff in your source
tree.

-D

--=20
In his heart a man plans his course,