[Tutor] Python and Delphi

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@attbi.com
Thu Apr 3 03:10:02 2003

On Wednesday 02 April 2003 22:15, Michael Lang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a long-time Delphi programmer who is trying to learn the Python
> programming language.  I learn best by example and would like to post small
> trivial Delphi code snipplets here and see the translation from Delphi to
> Python to better understand how to do Python programming.  Are there any
> Delphi (OOP Pascal) developers here that could help out?  Would this be too
> "specialized" for this list?

I used delphi around 5 years ago, it was a lot of fun and did not have really
nice UI.

Why not attempt to write some python code and ask for help when it breaks?
This is more likely to receive the greatest amount of response.

> At any rate, I have been totally spoiled by the ability to click on a term
> and hit F1 to get very specific help on a function or method along with
> good code examples specifically for using that construct.  Does anything
> like this exist for Python development that would help speed my learning of
> the language?

nothing as nice as the Delphi UI that I am aware of.  However, you get the
full blown python interpreter (-:  I usually have one open while i am editing
the code.  If i forget something a quick test in the python window and back
to the code.

Most python methods, classes, etc have documentation embedded in them via the
__doc__ variable.