[Tutor] Re: Reply to list... Re: Re: you may regret that comment Magnus!!

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Mon Feb 3 11:51:01 2003

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 11:53:58AM -0500, Blake Winton wrote:
| * Kalle Svensson <kalle@lysator.liu.se> [030203 10:11]:
| > > But perhaps it would still be better with reply-to set to
| > > the mailing list. I guess this is configurable. Danny?
| > No, it isn't (better).  Please read '"Reply-To" Munging Considered
| > Harmful' (http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html).

I totally agree.  With a good mail program you can hit "List Reply"
(instead of "Reply" or "Reply to all") and send the reply to the list
only.  It is really very convenient.

[snip some think it is useful]
| (Actually, now I'm starting to like the third option:
|  http://www.mindspring.com/~pwiseman/reply-to.html
|  which is set it, unless the user has already set it.)

For users who have a problem with not munging, this sounds even worse.
It would mean that for _some_ messages "reply" is sufficient, but for
others "reply all" is necessary.  Since my mailer has a
"ignore_list_reply_to" option it wouldn't hurt me at all, but I'm not
the one who's mailer lacks good list support :-).

-D

--=20
If Microsoft would build a car...
=2E.. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You
would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the car
windows, shut it off, restart it, and reopen the windows before you
could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.
=20
http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8--