[Tutor] Sun says: Don't use Java, use Python!

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon Feb 10 12:28:13 2003

> ...The key difference is that Python is a scripting language.
> This means there is no compilation to byte code ....It has to
> perform syntax checks and it must parse the ascii text

Interesting but only partially right since most of the time for
production code Python will already have compiled its modules to
byte code and only the main module remains in ascii text.

As to relative speeds I'd tend to agree that Python runs as fast
as Java(*) and Perl a little faster.

Alan G.

(*)Haven't tried gcc v3's native Java compilation yet, I'd expect that
to change the ground rules somewhat in Java's favour...