[Tutor] Sun says: Don't use Java, use Python!

Paul Tremblay phthenry@earthlink.net
Mon Feb 10 14:40:05 2003

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 05:25:04PM -0000, alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:
> > ...The key difference is that Python is a scripting language.
> > This means there is no compilation to byte code ....It has to
> > perform syntax checks and it must parse the ascii text
>
> Interesting but only partially right since most of the time for
> production code Python will already have compiled its modules to
> byte code and only the main module remains in ascii text.
>
> As to relative speeds I'd tend to agree that Python runs as fast
> as Java(*) and Perl a little faster.
>
> Alan G.

So doesn't this mean that if you are planning to distribute a Python
script (as I am), that you should distribute it as a module? I hadn't
even considered that modules are faster than scripts before reading this
thread.

Paul

--

*Paul Tremblay         *