[Tutor] Re: tabs or spaces (the endless debate!)

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Mon Feb 17 20:16:01 2003

--IrhDeMKUP4DT/M7F

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 01:30:30PM -0000, alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:

| > Because if you write your code to wrap at 79 chars (which is a good=20
| > idea for readability) then whether a tab is 4 or 8 chars matters (and=
=20
| > diff't environments use diff't sizes for tabs).
|=20
| Absolutely. Also when you open code in an editor its not obvious=20
| whether the code is indented with tabs or spaces.

Sometimes it is too painfully obvious.  :-).

In vim :
    set lcs=3Dtab:>-
    set list

Then tabs will appear as a blue '>' for the first character it
occupies followed by a blue '-' for each additional character the tab
occupies.  The "painful" part comes when trying to read some
documentation where tabs are scattered throughout.  Then I temporarily
":set nolist" to hide the tabs.

As with certain other aspects of python, the limitations are only in
your tool(s), not python itself.

-D

--=20
Commit to the Lord whatever you do,