[Tutor] Linux versions

/dev/rob0 tutor@python.org
Wed Jul 2 00:48:02 2003

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 11:47:08AM +0800, Paul Hartley wrote:

> I currently work almost exclusively with Windows 98 and XP. But I am
becoming increasingly annoyed at the bully tactics of Microsoft so I
would like to switch to Linux. I have made a couple of half-hearted
atempts in the past but never stuck with it. This time I am serious!!

> So I need a recommendation. I recently saw questions where some python
> packages were being downloaded and would not work because the Linux
> was Mandrake and not Red Hat.

Whilst GNU/Linux is GNU/Linux is GNU/Linux, subtle differences in the
versions of crucial components such as the C libraries and compiler can
make binaries built on/for one distro (and version) incompatible with
another. Perhaps that's what you saw.

GNU/Linux truly is one OS in that anything which will run on one distro
can be built to run on any other. (((Free|Open|Net)BSD)|'Mac OS X') is
similarly one underlying OS (but there are some incompatibilities with
Linux and differing hardware support.)

> I am not on OS techie and I guess I would want to dual boot if only

Multi-booting is not a problem with any GNU/Linux. You can even boot
from a floppy or CD (often necessary when dealing with DOS-based Windows
which may overwrite your master boot record without permission.)

> Any suggestions or experiences that Windows users have had switching
> to Linux would be most appretiated

I made the complete switch in Dec. 1999 because my Windows machine (its
hard drive) failed. The transition didn't seem that difficult for me,
but then, I *am* an OS techie. :)

I use Slackware exclusively, both in server deployments and for my own
workstation. I would recommend it to anyone who is seeking an in-depth
understanding of GNU/Linux, but since you say you're not an OS techie,
it may not be for you. Slackware is built by and for hard-core geeks
(and professional sysadmins).

SuSE, Red Hat and Mandrake have all set their sights on your part of the
"market": refugees from Windows. I think I'd recommend them in that
order, too, but don't put a lot of faith in that. It's possible that you
would find any of these to be as easy or easier to install and use than
Windows.[1]

Debian isn't a "market", it is a community. It might be worth a look.
Most notable about Debian is their extreme devotion to Free Software
principles[2] and probably the most sophisticated package management
tools. It's another one by-and-for geeks, but I've known some lesser-
to-non-geeks who find it quite to their liking.

> and what are the complications for using Python on the different
> systems.

OOTC! :) Good. I'm not aware of any problems with Python. Some distros
may not install it by default, and they may not include all parts of it
as you might get from the Python source.

HTH, although I suppose some URL's would help too ... I don't know of
any, but I know you're one of millions wanting to make the change, so
Google about and you will undoubtedly find some advice.

    Rob - /dev/rob0

[1] One impressive benefit, as I recently discovered by setting up a
    Windows system, is that far more comes with your GNU/Linux CD than
    with Windows. Even a relatively minimal distro like Slackware gives
    you a wide selection of user software.
[2] And a fanatical devotion to the Pope![3]
[3] I'll bet you didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.[4]
[4] NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!