[Tutor] Socket module woes.

Magnus Lyckå magnus@thinkware.se
Wed Jun 4 16:05:05 2003

At 11:37 2003-06-04 -0700, Jeff Shannon wrote:
>Fred Allen wrote:
>
>>I've identified the offending statement.  By interactively entering each
>>statement in sequence, as follows, the system hangs when I <Enter> the
>>"accept" method call.  I understand, of course, that the accept method
>>is intended to suspend its program's activity whilst awaiting a
>>connection attempt.  But, the way I've done it, it suspends not only its
>>own program, but the entire development environment, so I cannot
>>initiate the client's execution.
>
>You're running this from within IDLE/PythonWin, yes?  All of these will
>run your code in the same process as the interpreter itself, so when the
>process is waiting for a connection, that means that nothing else can
>happen in that process.

Yet another reason not to use an IDE? ;)

Actually, both IDLE-fork and SciTE runs programs in separate
processes as far as I understand. I guess it could work there.
(Not sure though...)

Anyway, as you progress as programmers, and increase your
typing speed and come to remember commands and rely less
on searching around in pulldown menues, I think many of
you will come to appreciate a simple command line interface,
and a good all-round editor.

Your hands will stay on the keyboard, and the mouse will get
a lot of rest...

--
Magnus Lycka (It's really Lyck&aring;), magnus@thinkware.se
Thinkware AB, Sweden, www.thinkware.se