[Tutor] Noob to Python - Need help with Variables

Tony Stevenson Tony@pc-tony.com
Thu Jun 5 07:11:02 2003

 Hi All,

I am completely new to programming, so I thought I would start with Python
as it comes highly reccomended, and have seen it do some very smart
things.

Anyway, I am trying to re-write our somewhat painful DOS Batch File
Logon Scripts.

I am currently using   print os.environ["USERNAME"]   to obtain the
username environment variable.

Now I will be using this entry several times throughout the script, so I
"thought" I would need to create a variable in python.  But after trying
this

>>> user = "print os.environ['USERNAME']"
>>> print user

This is what is returned....

print os.environ['USERNAME']

So I can see that the "variable"??? user, it not executing the print
os.environ command.  Instead is it using it as a text entry.

My question is how can I get this "user variable" to return the username
in question.

I think i may be missing a pair of quotes or something, but I am not too
sure...

Kind Regards,
Tony