[Tutor] languages

Magnus Lyckå magnus@thinkware.se
Mon Jun 16 16:47:02 2003

At 20:35 2003-06-16 +0100, Alan Gauld wrote:
>For a trade school COBOL is an excellent choice(as is VB.NET)
>because those markets will employ people without degrees. In
>fact in the UK the majority of COBOL programmers come through
>that route. They program up the flowcharts (yes really!) that
>the designers give them...

Are you a programmer then, or just a high level compiler? :)

Sadly, many management people still see programmers like that,
as some kind of follow-up of the ladies that sat in long rows
during WWII, summing up numbers to create ballistic trajectory
tables. (BTW, these ladies were called "computers", before
machines took over both the role and the name.)

Although I think most programmers are taking part in the actual
development and creation of the software more than a conversion
from flowcharts to COBOL, I guess that kind of programming might
still be a better job than many others, and certainly better
than nothing, which is a reasonable comparision these days...

>And Vis C++ just might get a very talented individual into a
>games programming shop where again many of the employees are
>self taught. Although with degrees in computer games now
>available I expect that to change.

We'll see. It seems to me that the "entertainment industry"
is replacing the military as the forefront of technical
development. That is certain to attract lots of big business,
but I'm still not sure professionalism will beat enthusiasm
in creating bestselling games.

--
Magnus Lycka (It's really Lyckå), magnus@thinkware.se
Thinkware AB, Sweden, www.thinkware.se