[Tutor] languages

Stu McIntire smcintire@eastern-casualty.com
Tue Jun 17 10:32:02 2003

>and neither of these changes my comment -- it *SHOULD* be dead but old
coders
>who (should) know better keep it around (-:

Speaking of the insurance industry, at least, where my career has been
churning for over 20 years, it is the senior executives who keep Cobol
around; coders have no more input than the folks pushing brooms.  Why risk
large development projects to replace applications that work adequately (or
better) and have been fully amortized for 15 or more years?  Particularly
since hurricane Andrew, 9/11, and other major recent hits to the industry,
this is a no-brainer.  They are using contemporary tools where it makes
sense, such as offering web-based services to agents and customers, data
warehouses, etc., but Cobol will have a significant role to play for a long
time.

Stu