[Tutor] Re: sending hex data on port

Jeff Shannon jeff@ccvcorp.com
Thu Jun 19 14:11:49 2003

vicki@stanfield.net wrote:

>>What module are you using?  Does it make sense to say
>>port.write(chr(24))?
>>

>That might be it. Is there a function that
>automatically translates between the 0x18 and the chr
>value that I need? I understand how you got the value
>and could write my own, but if it already exists.....

This depends on exactly what form you have the 0x18 in.  You can simply
use port.write(chr(0x18)), but I'm guessing that you want to send the
contents of a variable, not a constant.  :)  If you have a variable, c,
which already contains the number 0x18, you can do port.write(chr(c)).
 If c is, instead, the string "18", and you want to interpret that as a
hex value, then you can use the radix option of int() --
port.write(chr(int("18", 16))).  In essence, your problem now is a
matter of figuring out how to convert your data source into a series of
integers, one for each byte you wish to send.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International