[Tutor] More OOP

Tim Ronning tim.ronning at start.no
Fri Nov 7 10:21:59 EST 2003

To follow up the OOP thread.

I have followed the discussion on how to "think" OO and I question if I'm
doing the right thing not to dive into GUI making to much this early in my
learning ladder. Whould it simply be better, from a OO perspective, to plan
and design my learning projects out of a GUI base. Forcing me to produce
object chuncks instead. After all my real-life projects are and will be GUI
based. Tutorials, intro. books, etc. do take a console approach but it
shouldn't be to difficult to apply knowledge from this kind of sources into
a GUI/OO approach. It's basically the same knowledge, just grouped and
applied somewhat differently. Also learning your favourite GUI toolkit is a
big task and will take it's time. I currently, on a non project basis, play
with Tkinter, PyQt/QT and pyFLTK/FLTK and learning properly one of these
environments is a big task itself. Specially QT, it's massive!

So, what do you think? Should one go GUI right away and try to translate
console focused learning sources into an OO/GUI environment for ones
learning projects?

Best regards
Tim R