[Tutor] 2.3.1/2 setup problems

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 16:17:51 EST 2003

> IDLE program running. When I click on IDLE in the START/Python23
menu
> nothing happens. I looked into my autoexec.bat and added
c:\Python23;
> c:\Python\Lib\idlelib\ to the path.

I'd guess that second one should be C:\Python23\Lib... ?

However the installer should have set up the menu shortcut to
point to the right place anyhow.

Try right clicking the IDLE menu item and selecting properties.

Mine says:

E:\Python22\pythonw.exe "E:\PYTHON22\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw"

Yours should be similar.

> versions IDLE file is located in the Tools subdirectory. Would it
make any
> difference? What should I do?

Check the path in the shortcut points to the file it claims
to - idle.pyw.

Wherever that file lives is where it should point.

I assume the interactive prompt works OK from DOS?
And that typing python at the Start->Run dialog works OK?

Finally try navigating to idle.pyw in windows explorer,
double click on it, does it start?

If so drag a shortcut onto the desktop, or onto the Start button.
See if the new shortcut works.

HTH,

Alan G.