[Tutor] Web development

Erik Price erikprice at mac.com
Thu Oct 9 13:44:22 EDT 2003

On Thursday, October 09, 2003, at 07:53AM, Ronan Lucio <ronan at melim.com.br> wrote:

>Hello folks,
>
>Does someone develop web applications in Python?

Sure, an interesting project for web app development is Webware.
<http://webware.sourceforge.net/>

>I'd like to know how can I manipulate users in a web application.
>Should I use cookies?

Cookies can be a convenient way of letting your webapp know which user is making that particular HTTP request.  Another way to do it is to embed an identification string into the URI of all hyperlinks in your webapp.  I would be surprised if webware did not provide a mechanism for automatically generating these kinds of URIs.

>I have read about cookies but I seems that cookies works
>with expiration time. So, if it's true, if a user closes its browser,
>isn't it be loged on automatcly, once the expiration time didn't
>end up?

You should read more about how cookies work, you can limit the lifetime of a cookie to only last as long as the current session (until the user quits the browser instance):
<http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html>

>And if I set a little expiration time, will the user be loged for
>the next page?
>
>If some could point me to a documentation that clarify my mind,
>it also would be great.

Hopefully the above will help answer some questions about cookies in web application development.

Erik