[Tutor] Multiple exits in a function...

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Fri Oct 24 17:39:37 EDT 2003

Alan Gauld wrote:

>>I think that it's important to remember that everything involved in
>>programming is a trade-off -- everything has a cost and a benefit.
>
> Absolutely, and we mneed to understand the trade-offs. In this
> case the trade off is between rapid comprehension and double
> maintenance.

I can agree with that.  :)  In this case I feel that the double
maintenance is more onerous than the slower comprehension, but it's
important to be aware of both sides of it.

>>Of course, all of this is just my opinion, and I've had considerably
>>less education in this area than Alan has,
>
> Hmm, I've just read a lot of books... :-)

Well, you've probably read a lot more books than I have. ;)  I'm a
relative newcomer to all of this, really...  But, through this thread,
I've learned a bit more about the principles of structured
programming, which is a good thing!

> And as I said above i'm much less religious about this issue in
> practice than I am in principle!

Heh.  "Practicality beats purity", and most of us wouldn't be using
Python if we didn't agree with that to some fair degree.  :)  But it
is important to understand the pure forms in order to know best how to
cheat on them for practical purposes.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International