[Tutor] Beginner @ python

Alexandre Ratti alex at gabuzomeu.net
Sun Sep 14 10:54:58 EDT 2003

Hello Tony,

Anthony Huddleston wrote:
> I started learning Python just the other day, mostly because my nephew
> (11yrs old) wants to learn to be a programmer. I like the language and
> the way it flows, but so far I haven't seen anything, that I'm aware of,
> that was written for Windows in Python

Actually, Python scripts are cross-platform. I.e. you can run them on
Windows, Linux, and many other systems.

> (i.e. I haven't seen any
> executable Windows programs *.exe). Is that because people "port"
> programs over to the Microsoft OS or does Python always need to have the
> interpreter installed on the machine it's on?

Yes, people usually need to have the interpreter installed on their
computer to run Python scripts.

You can also freeze a script and its runtime files into a exe file. See
the "py2exe" tool for instance:

http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/

Cheers.

Alexandre