[Tutor] Launching an app into a frame

David Broadwell dbroadwell at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 11 12:29:40 EDT 2004

>>> Djoumy
>> David Broadwell
> Djoumy
David Broadwell

>>> I'm trying to launch an application from my python code.
>>> Not too hard using os.system(), but I'd like to bound the
>>> app window into a GUI component of my python window (I'm
>>> using boa constructor to create my window). For example
>>> I'd like to create a frame into my window, and launch the
>>> app into this frame does someone know if it's possible
>>> and how to do that ?
>> It sounds too easy to be impossible.
> That's what I believe too :)
I've learned that the things that sound doable are, but that
sound too easy are bloody hard. This sounds fun to ... and as
an extension of could be a place to send cli output before
shitting off the shell to a gui app.

Actually it would be very useful module in any number
of my pet programming projects.

>> David Wrote: if you can that part of your application always
>> read something particular ... say a 127.0.0.1:NNNN port.
>> then run the application to be displayed with the os settings
>> to redirect output to the 127.0.0.1:NNNN port?
> Sounds good but how would you do that ? And would the app
> interact with user's input into the frame that contains the
> app ?
Interaction would mean that the app needs to also be able to
monitor ... a second port? and not only mirror that to the
display so the user think they typed in it, but be able to
reply with a result?

> An other way should be using an X server (using the os variable
> DISPLAY), but I just managed to install xlib and didn't find
> any valuable doc about how to use it correctly, especially how
> to bound the app to a display (for example 'localhost:0.3')...
> Does anyone know if it could be a good solution ?
I have one argument with this, platform dependent.

--

Programmer's mantra; Observe, Brainstorm, Prototype, Repeat

David Broadwell