[Tutor] very basic question from a newbie

Chuck Marshall csm1 at academicplanet.com
Wed Feb 11 00:03:58 EST 2004

I just read "IDLE Introduction --- One Day of IDLE Toying".  It was great because it was so basic and helped me get started.  My first couple of test "modules" ran just fine, but all of a sudden IDLE started "hanging" for a long time every time I click on "Run Module".  Just running the following module seems to freeze the video on my computer for about 15 seconds.

print "hello world"
print "here are the ten numbers from 0 to 9"
for i in range(10):
 print i,
print "I'm done!"

Even the menus in the Python Shell window and the new file window seem to sort of open slowly and "unsmoothly".

One thing I noticed is that every time I run the module the shell displays this:

hello world
here are the ten numbers from 0 to 9
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 I'm done!

I only ran the module a few times before this problem started, but I don't think the -----RESTART---- line was appearing at first, but I could be wrong.

I read (http://www.python.org/doc/faq/windows.html) that anti-virus software might cause Python to start slowly.  I disabled my anti-virus software, but I'm still having the same problem.  I've even rebooted my PC a couple of times.  Any suggestions?

Late-breaking development.....

Just as I was finishing this email I tried running the scripts again, and now they're running normally!  And I was right, the ---RESTART---- thing isn't happening now, *and* the menus are opening normally too!  Can someone please explain to me what is going on?

Thanks,

Chuck