[Tutor] Segmentation Fault Problem

Anschau Gesicht anschau at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 2 17:20:23 EST 2004

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 22:09:43 +0100
Michael Lange <klappnase at freenet.de> wrote:

<snip>

> Hi,
>
> there is obviously something wrong with your python and/or tk
> installation; might this have something to do with the shebang line
> you use here??

Good guess.  I fixed that but the problem persists.

Maybe it is just a typo, the shebang should point to
> your python executable, probably #!/usr/bin/python or if you don't
> know the exact path #!/usr/bin/env python . Anyway, your code should
> work (so should IDLE); do you use RedHat's default tk version(which?)?
> Just a guess, it looks to me a little like python was trying to use
> another tk version as it has been compiled for, maybe there's a
> problem with python2.2 and tk8.4?

I recently did a new install of RedHat 9.  The version of Python and tk
are standard with Redhat 9 (python v 2.2.3-26 and tk-8.3.1-45mlx). I
don't have multiple version installed

I have also heard of people having
> problems with multiple tk versions installed.

I may be way off base here but is it possible that it has something to
do with the version of gcc installed.  Redhat 9 includes both
gcc-3.2.2-5v and gcc296. I know that many of Python's libraries are
written in c and I've been having trouble compiling c code too.  If this
is the problem, how do I correct it?

Eve