[Tutor] Segmentation Fault Problem

Michael Lange klappnase at freenet.de
Fri Jan 2 18:54:37 EST 2004

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 16:20:23 -0600
Anschau Gesicht <anschau at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I may be way off base here but is it possible that it has something to
> do with the version of gcc installed.  Redhat 9 includes both
> gcc-3.2.2-5v and gcc296. I know that many of Python's libraries are
> written in c and I've been having trouble compiling c code too.  If this
> is the problem, how do I correct it?

I can hardly imagine that this is gcc's fault, unless you have compiled python / tk yourself.
Maybe the default packages are broken, maybe it is worth a try to get the original sources
from python.org and scriptics and reinstall both python and tcl/tk (in case you get your compiler working).
I have seen a recent thread on comp.lang.python where someone had similar problems with RedHat9; he tended
to blame the kernel:

http://groups.google.de/groups?dq=&hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=slrnbvb568.uoq.Markus.Franke%40herein.hrz.tu-chemnitz.de&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Dde%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26group%3Dcomp.lang.python

I used RedHat9 a while ago, but probably not exact the same version, because Tkinter seemed to work, however tix was broken.
A new install from the developer's sources seemed to fix the problem, however I did not much testing and uninstalled the
whole thing.

Cheers

Michael