[Tutor] cannot import win32com.client

Gus Tabares gustabares at verizon.net
Tue Mar 16 17:22:58 EST 2004

> I use: 	WinXP PRO Greek version 5.01.2600 Service Pack 1
> And:		PythonWin 2.3.3 (#51, Dec 18 2003, 20:22:39) [MSC v.1200
> 32 bit 		(Intel)] on win32.
> 		Portions Copyright 1994-2001 Mark Hammon
> (mhammond at skippinet. 		com.au) - see 'Help/About PythonWin' for
> further copyright 			information.
>
> When I installed "win32all-163.exe" I got 3 errors:
> 1)	Registration of the AXScript Engine COM server failed.
> 	Installation will continue, but this server will require manual
> registration before it will function
>
> 	exceptions.AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute
> '__import_pywin32_system_module__'
>
> 2)	Registration of the Python Interpreter COM server failed.
> 	Installation will continue, but this server will require manual
> registration before it will function
>
> 	exceptions.AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute
> 'com_error'
>
> 3)	Registration of the Python Dictionary COM server failed.
> 	Installation will continue, but this server will require manual
> registration before it will function
>
> 	exceptions.ImportError: cannot import name DISPATCH_METHOD
>
> Any time I try to reinstall I get the same 3 errors...
>
> Any solution?

Hi there,

I've run into this  exact same problem. In fact I've already reported a bug to
Mark Hammond informing him of the problem. I'm not really sure what the
workaround for this is; unless there is something terribly important in
version 163 that you need, you may want to revert back to the previous
version as I have done.

For some reason I think this problem has more to do with a Microsoft update
than an actual problem with the Python Windows extensions.

You can check out the bug I've already filed here:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=868473&group_id=78018&atid=551954

Good luck,
Gus Tabares