Re: [Tutor] Is Python module case sensitive?

Magnus Lycka magnus at
Wed May 5 12:50:55 EDT 2004

Jay Li wrote:
> I'm trying to use Atamai Viewer which is written in Python. I've installed Python and numarray package and Scientific package. When I tried to run that that program, it always showed an error "from Numeric import *
> ImportError: No module named Numeric"
> I checked the sys.path by useing the "Path Bowser". Python22\lib\site-packages which includes numarray package is there. there's a file named in the package. I doubt if Python's module is case sensitive, if so, can I just modify the to without any latent problems? Thanks a lot!

Are you sure that's the right Numeric?

There is a Numeric package which predates numarray, see

I suspect that's what the Atamai Viewer is looking for...

As far as I understand, Numeric is no longer maintained, and
people are encouraged to use Numarray instead, but I don't
think that you can expect programs written for Numeric to work
with Numarray.

Try installing the last version of Numeric from

Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN
phone: int+46 70 582 80 65, fax: int+46 70 612 80 65  mailto:magnus at