[Tutor] Is Python module case sensitive?

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed May 5 13:46:48 EDT 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004, Jay Li wrote:

> I'm trying to use Atamai Viewer which is written in Python. I've
> installed Python and numarray package and Scientific package. When I
> tried to run that that program, it always showed an error "from Numeric
> import * ImportError: No module named Numeric"
>
> I checked the sys.path by useing the "Path Bowser".
> Python22\lib\site-packages which includes numarray package is there.
> there's a file named numeric.py in the package. I doubt if Python's
> module is case sensitive, if so, can I just modify the numeric.py to
> Numeric.py without any latent problems? Thanks a lot!

Hi Jay,

Numarray is the next-generation version of Numeric.  I'm not sure, though,
if they both are interchangable.  You may need to install Numeric as well,
since it seems that Atamai Viewer is using Numeric.  You can find Numeric
here:

    http://www.pfdubois.com/numpy/

To answer your original question: yes, modules are case sensitive.  But
don't rename Numarray.numeric: that will probably break anything that
depends on Numarray.  *grin*

Instead, install Numeric; I think the latest release of it is 22.0.
Numarray and Numeric are designed not to conflict with each other.

You may also want to talk with the folks who have written Atamai and see
if they'd be willing to retarget their code to use Numarray.

Good luck to you!