[Tutor] RE: Help: CGI Error in a Python Application

mhansen at cso.atmel.com mhansen at cso.atmel.com
Thu May 6 10:48:32 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
>From  	"Crabtree, Chad" <Chad.Crabtree at nationalcity.com>
Date  	Wed, 5 May 2004 13:46:03 -0400
To  	"'ajay singh'" <ajay_4may at yahoo.co.in>
Cc  	"'tutor at python.org'" <tutor at python.org>
Subject  	RE: [Tutor] Help: CGI Error in a Python Application

> CGI Error
> The specified CGI application misbehaved by not
> returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers
> it did return are:
>

> The Python code is as below:

> #!c:\python23\python
> import cgi
> import sys,os
> import string
> import MySQLdb
> db=MySQLdb.connect(host="localhost",user="root",passwd="",db="power")
> cursor=db.cursor()
>>***************************
>>print "Content-Type: text/plain\n\n"
>>****************************

Shouldn't that be ..

print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n"

or does it make a difference?

Also, this is a nit, but it should also print the doc type

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C/DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
		"http://www.w3c.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

for HTML 4 or

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html
     PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

for XHTML transitional...

In any event, it might be a good ideas to check your output through the w3c's validator...
http://validator.w3.org/

I realize if you are just experimenting/testing code, then the doc type and validator probably isn't necessary. If it's production code, then I strongly suggest putting in the doc type and validate your output to make it clean HTML or XHTML.

Mike