[Tutor] modifying the look of a program

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 09:36:57 CET 2004

I assume you're on Windows?

Open c:\python23, or wherever Python installed.

Double click on python.exe

You should get a DOSBOX with a prompt like so -

type in the following - print('hello world, the mandatory first
programme.') and hit enter.

>>>print('hello world, the mandatory first programme')
hello world, the mandatory first programme

And that's it. Well, that's it in an interactive interpreter (which is
great for trialling code snippets).

To run a programme, you open your Python-friendly text editor(good
selection here http://www.python.org/moin/PythonEditors, I recommend
Pype) and write your programme like so -

print(''hello world, the mandatory first programme.")

save it, we'll call this dude.py, and then in your DOSBOX go to
c:\python23 and type

c:\python23\> python dude.py

hello world, the mandatory first programme.

Of course that's if you saved dude.py to your python23 directory.

For working with a GUI, which is what it sounds like you're after...
it's a little different. The classic GUI toolkit used for Python is
Tkinter, and you can't lay it out visually.

You could also use wxPython.

What you are probably looking for is Spectix, PythonCard or Easygui.
Google them, and see what you think. They let you lay it out, a la
Visual Basic. Easygui is just quick & dirty functions.

To be honest though, you'd do better to get into Python proper before
hitting the GUI toolkits.

http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/tutor2/index.htm

Good luck,

Liam Clarke

Oh, and generally, you don't compile Python, it compiles as it goes : )

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 12:09:55 -0500, Sam <mynameissam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> First of all, i have to say that this is a very basic question, but im
> just starting, so it's confusing. The very first programming languange
> i learned was Visual Basic, which is a program that lets you see the
> program as you build it, and lets you choose exactly which button has
> which property. So now I am very confused because even though i
> understand the basic structure of the language, and how to work with
> it, I have no idea what will the program look like, or even how to
> compile it (I havent done an independent program yet...). So please, i
> would really appreciate if you could help me out in this.
>
> Thank you all!
>
> Sam

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.