[Tutor] Request for Project

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Wed Nov 17 23:50:03 CET 2004

Hi Steven,

I've been thinking of a little C/Python project that the community
might find useful, I know I would.

Maybe it already exists, I don't know.

How about a python daemon?

The problem is that if you are calling python scripts from a very busy
program, like a mail transfer agent, then you'll get lots of
interpreters running at the same time and this doesn't scale at all
well.

The python daemon would read a socket for a command line and then some
more input which would be input that would usually be found on stdin.
It would import what it needs to run the python command and feed it
the stdin it collected.

A little C program to feed it, called py_it, would be called:

py_it python_command arg1 arg2 < some_stdin

The C program would talk to py_it via the socket and communicate the
call and arguments and push in the some_stdin.

If you don't know C, you could write both parts in python and then
maybe someone (maybe me) would rewrite the py_it part in C.

It's a nice little project, involving threads and sockets.

----

Another project would be to wrap the Clerk's library (which is a
specialized data-base server for vote-keeping) and make a user
interface for eVote.  See http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/evote

That's more pie-in-the-sky, but potentially important.

Thanks for your offer Steven.  I hope you find a juicy project.

Marilyn Davis, Ph.D         marilyn at deliberate.com        -1 650 965-7121
Author of eVote(R)/Clerk                        http://www.deliberate.com