[Tutor] Change to Python 2.4?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sat Nov 27 01:58:37 CET 2004

>     How hard would it be to change to python 2.4?

Probably not very hard but, why would you want to?
Do you have a need?

At work I am still using Python 2.1, and at home I
still use 2.2 on my Mac. I only moved to 2.3 on my
PC so that I could update my tutor, I am not knowingly
using any 2.3 specific features.

So unless you need something specific in 2.4 there
should be no reason to ruish to it, wait till a
safe point in your project - like after you get a
stable working release - and then upgrade at your
leasure...

> new things in python 2.4?

THere is usually a list available on the web site.

> I have seen enough on this list to know that it
> would be advantageous for me to download it.

If you have a specifc advantage that makes the
advantage worth the risk then go ahead. Python
release changes are usually pretty easy and
backwardly compatible.

> scripts written for 2.3 work for 2.4?

Occasionally something might break but in most
cases(99%?) I'd expect the 2.3 stuff to just work.

Alan G.