[Tutor] Pythonw.exe doesn't work in the python2.4 distribution?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 12:35:23 CET 2004

> execute the scripts using python24. However, the "Edit with IDLE"
command in
> the shorcut menu (right-click pull down menu) no longer worked. So I
went to
> the registry (I know the risks involved)

BUt entirely unnecesary here!
The way to check/fix the context(right-click) menu options is via
Explorer. Its much easier and much safer.

Go to Tools->Folder Optoions->File Types

Select the file type you areinterested inn- .PYW in this case

Hit the Change button, from the dialog you can select the
associated executable. Using the Advanced button you can
edit the existing entries, changing startup flags etc.

You can also add new contrext actions there too - such as
Edit with SCite or whatever.

> "C:\python23\pythonw.exe" "C:\python24\lib\idlelib\idle.pyw -n -e
%1"

> A few things...
>
> 1) Can anyone explain why pythonw.exe doesn't do what it is supposed
to do
> in python24?

That I can't help with not having loaded 2.4 yet.

> 3) Can anyone off-hand tell me what the arguments -n and -e mean in
the
> above string? Does anybody know of a list of these? (Not urgent, if
no one
> knows, I won't bother extensively searching for one.)

According to the usage message in PyShell.py

-n      => start with no subprocess

-e file => edit <file>

HTH

Alan G.