[Tutor] Over optimizing

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 05:56:31 CEST 2004

> it into another. I find that sometimes optimization is fun for its
own
> sake, and to learn a little bit more about the environment in which
> you're programming or operating.

I think the latter point is most important.
Fine tuning code for speed is instructive but rarely cost effective.
Only do it once you know there is a problem.

On really big performance problems the fault is often not in the code
at all but in the use of network or file resources, or database
access.
These factors can cause order of magnitude slow downs whereas code
issues typically only cause factors of 2 or 3 slow downs.

But when learning how to program it is useful to know what can cause
blockages so I don't think the discussions are inappropriate here, but
at the same time reminders not to get too obsessive about it are
good too! :-)

Alan G.