[Tutor] Static Variables

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 22:39:36 CEST 2004

> By the way, would anyone guide me how to become a pro in C

Experience. As the guy who looks after the lawns at Wimbledon
tennis court says when asked how to get the same quality of
lawn:

"Water regularly, Cut regularly, Feed rgularly and repeat
for 300 years... "

C programming doesn't take so long but it does take experience.
Reading a lot of code of different types helps - try the Python
source code, and other sourceforge projects. Look at the Linux
kernel code.

Working in partnership with experienced programmers helps too
but is hard for a casual programmer to do in practice.

There aren't any magic books but a few to consider are:

Programming Pearls by Jon Bentley - not all C but sound programming
practice

The Practice of Programming - Kernighan & Pike

The Pragmatic Programmer.

All of these are quite short but packed full of advise to lift
the amateur up towards pro standards.

And finally a book every coder should read:

Code Complete by McConnell - possibly the best thing to ever come
from Microsoft! :-)

If you were doing C++ I'd also recommend Herb Sutter's pair of books.

Alan G.