[Tutor] Static Variables

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 2 22:41:19 CEST 2004

> By the way, would anyone guide me how to become a pro in C (an e-book,
> some maillists, some hints or just whatever you think may be helpful)?

Hi Ashkan,

Read Python's C implementation.  *grin*

I'm actually a little serious about this: I learned quite a bit about C by
seeing how Python was implemented in it.  It's amazing how much work goes
into some of the features in Python; it makes me all the more glad that I
don't have to work at that level... usually.

In general, read other people's code, and write good programs: I think
that's a pretty steady way to get better at programming in any language.
There's an abundance of Open Source code out there: I'd recommend taking
advantage of it.

> I read Kernighan and Ritchie's "THE C PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE", but I need
> something that makes me a real man!!

If reading K&R doesn't improve your macho rating, I don't know what will.
*grin*

But if you want to read another book, I'd recommend 'Programming Pearls':

    http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/pearls/

One can only go so far with just reading, though: to get better, you'll
need to apply what you've read.  Pick a project that you like to work on,
and go with it.

Good luckt oyou!