[Tutor] drawing a graph

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 6 10:09:07 CEST 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 tpc at csua.berkeley.edu wrote:

> The site:
>
> http://rpy.sourceforge.net/
>
> says to make sure the R bin directory 'C:\Program Files\R\rw1061\bin\'
> is in your path, but that directory or another permutation doesn't seem
> to exist on my machine.
>
> I am looking for a simple line graph program and I tried Rpy at your
> recommendation but I can't seem to get beyond the error message above.

Hi Tpc,

'rpy' has a few prerequisites.  You need to first install R, because 'rpy'
is a translator between R and Python.

    http://www.r-project.org/

It is Free Software, so you should be able to grab it from several
mirrors.

> Right off the bat, the documentation fails to explain you must 'import
> rpy' before you can 'from rpy import *', else you get:
>
> error: (2, 'RegOpenKeyEx', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

This may be an issue with not having R installed: it sounds like the
system is trying to do its best to find R, but without success.

If you're having more problems with 'rpy', it might be best to bring them
up on 'rpy-list':

    http://rpy.sourceforge.net/maillist.html

Good luck!