[Tutor] Event handler for optionmenu

geon geon at post.cz
Mon Aug 15 14:24:54 CEST 2005

Jorge Louis de Castro napsal(a):

>Hi,
>
>Thanks for your reply. It wasn't lazyness, believe me, I did look around for
>solutions and found something similar to yours here:
>
>http://www.astro.washington.edu/owen/TkinterSummary.html#TracingVariables
>
>The problem is that I have a class and it wants the callback function to be
>a global name (I also can't figure out hot to pass parameters to it)
>
>By being a global name I can't access the var with widget.getvar(), and it
>complains if I use root by saying:
>
>Exception in Tkinter callback
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "C:\Python24\Lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1345, in __call__
>    return self.func(*args)
>  File "C:\Workplace\python\piim\Tkclient.py", line 312, in doLangChoices
>    varValue = root.getvar(name)
>AttributeError: Tkclient instance has no attribute 'getvar'

Not sure what Tkclient() is... seems to be not child od Tk(), cause
there is no getvar() function...
Anyway I am not able to run your script cause you used there both tabs
and spaces for indentation. (see the row OPTIONS =
["en","pt","es","it","fr","de"], how much it is intended....)

Shoudnt be there varValue = self.startw.getvar(name)? - just guessing -
I can not check cause the indentation i scorrupted ;-)

geon