[Tutor] Network Tutorials

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 22 04:01:36 CEST 2005

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, John Walton wrote:

> Hello, everyone.  I just began school, and they already assigned us
> science fair.  Since I'm in 8th grade, I get to do demonstrations for
> our projects.
>
> I'm probably going to demonstrate Python's networking capabilities by
> writing a simple instant messenger program.  I only have a few problems:
>
> 1. I know squat about Python network Programming
>
> 2. I know nothing about networks
>
>    So if any of you know of a good Python Networking Tutorial or a
> website with lots of information on networks and networking, please
> reply.  Thanks!

Hi John,

Cool!  Yeah, you might be interested in the Twisted Python network
library:

    http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/twisted/

It's one of the more popular libraries for doing Python network
programming.  The Twisted folks have some tutorials:

http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/twisted/documentation/howto/index.html

and the framework itself should help you get up to speed without having to
worry so much about low-level socket details.

(In fact, a rudimentary chat server shouldn't be too much different from
the "echo" server they show in the Twisted tutorials.)

If you want to get into the really low-level details about network socket
programming, though, there are guides to help with that too.  Beej's Guide
to Network Programming looks interesting as a way to get the general idea
of the theory of sockets:

    http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/net/

and Gordan McMillan's Socket HOWTO talks about the practice of socket
programming in Python:

    http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/sockets/

There's definitely a lot more material on the web; a Google search on
"socket programming Python" should come up with a lot of tutorial too.

I hope this helps you get started.  Good luck!