[Tutor] new to linux and I cannot find some python things

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 29 22:46:06 CET 2005

> Anothet linux noobie here :)
> How do I uninstall python? I use the SimplyMepis flavor of linux.

Hi Hans,

Ask the Mepis folks about this.  I understand that Mepis is a Debian-based
distribution, and you should be able to use the 'dpkg' command to drop
debs.

That being said, I have no idea if Mepis uses Python as a part of its core
system.  It might not be a good idea to remove it because doing so might
suddenly break a whole lot more than just IDLE.  That's why you need to
talk with folks who are familiar with your particular Linux distribution.

> The reason I want to uninstall python is that its an old version (2.3).
> Not that I particularly want the new version, but the IDLE installation
> that I downloaded reports all kinds of errors because apparently its
> meant to work with python 2.4.

This sounds unusual.  Try:

   $ which idle

at your shell prompt.  What shows up?  What happens with:

   $ which python

Good luck to you!