[Tutor] Presentation

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 10:12:07 CET 2005

Hi Danny,

I think that learning Python naturally leads to learning programming.
It's like learning to fly, you learn to fly in a Cessna or Piper
Cherokee. Simple, elegant, easy to operate. You can then focus on the
art of flying, not on how exactly you lower the flaps. Then, once
you're good at flying, you move to the Pitt's Special.

(Actually could you imagine a plane built by Perl enthusiasts...

How do I lower the flaps?
Well, you can push this button, or pull that lever, or lean to the
right, or you could install this cool module that lowers them when you
wink your left eye twice in 5 seconds. Remember, there's more than one
way to do it!)

Regards,

Liam Clarke
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 00:59:44 -0800 (PST), Danny Yoo
<dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> > The community is one of the things I particularly like about Python.  I
> > always hated asking a question in the Perl newsgroups; although you
> > usually got an answer, you were almost certain to be told you're stupid
> > for not already knowing it.
>
> Hi Terry,
>
> Just to act as Devil's advocate: the programming language communities are
> large enough to support subcultures.  So the experiences you have had in
> the seedy corners of comp.lang.perl are probably not representative of the
> Perl community as a whole.
>
> Some newsgroups are notoriously noisy, and even comp.lang.python can get a
> little hairy at times.  The mailing list communities tend to be a bit more
> civilized because they have a strong topical focus.
>
> For people who do want to learn Perl, the web site:
>
>     http://learn.perl.org/
>
> and Casey West's 'beginners' Perl mailing list:
>
>     http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.beginners/
>
> appear to be excellent resources.  So the Perl community there is also
> doing what they can to help folks learn Perl.
>
> We, as Python programmers, should do one step better: we should help folks
> learn programming as well as Python.  *grin*
>
> Best of wishes to you!

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.