[Tutor] Are you allowed to shoot camels? [kinda OT]

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sat Feb 5 01:27:51 CET 2005

Marilyn,

> I'll whisper that I'm a tiny bit disappointed to see the vaguely
> demeaning 'are you joking' theme that has emerged in here.  It's
> unusual for us to be anything but generous and kind with each other.
> I guess this is a hot topic.  :^)

Languages (and editors) are always emotional topics on the 'net...

But I was actually thinking that here we are on a mailing list having
a mini-language war and by internet standards its extremely civilised!
Nobody has called anyone a moron or an idiot yet and an 'are you
joking' is, to me at least, just a term of speech, not an insult.
Certainly if anyone has been offended I apologise profusely it
was never meant thus.

Alan G.