[Tutor] adding quotation marks around variables

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Mon Jul 11 00:20:08 CEST 2005

Robert said unto the world upon 10/07/2005 17:31:
> Hello all, I am a college student and I am currently working on a
> two numbers program for our class, The purpose of this program is
> to take user input and do some math functions.
>
> I have figured out how to do the math but I need to display these
> two variables with quotation marks around them.
>
> Also I need to add these two variables together  and display the
> hexadecimal of these two variables???
>
> Also how do you display wheather one variable is greater than or
> less than or equal to the other variable?
>

> Below is an example of the items i need help with?
>

> The two numbers were "X" and "Y."
>
> The first number was (< > =) the second number.
>
> The hexadecimal sum of the two numbers is XXX.
>
> Any help with this would be gratly appreciated! Thanks Robert

Hi Robert,

for displaying strings with variable content, string formatting is a
real boon. See <http://docs.python.org/lib/typesseq-strings.html> for
details.

But here is a bit to give you the idea:

 >>> def silly_example():
	name = raw_input('What is your name?\n')
	if name[0].isalpha():
		if name[0].lower() in ('aeiou'):
			char_type = 'a vowel'
		else:
			char_type = 'a consonant'
	else:
		char_type = "something other than a letter"
	print "Hello, %s. Your name begins with %s." %(name, char_type)

 >>> silly_example()
What is your name?
Brian
Hello, Brian. Your name begins with a consonant.
 >>> silly_example()
What is your name?
Alberto
Hello, Alberto. Your name begins with a vowel.
 >>> silly_example()
What is your name?
42
Hello, 42. Your name begins with something other than a letter.

See if you can get somewhere with these ideas. If you get stuck, post
some code, and someone will be glad to help more.

Best,

Brian vdB