[Tutor] using -i flag with '''if __name__ == "__main__":'''

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Fri May 20 00:59:09 CEST 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Max Noel wrote:

> On May 19, 2005, at 23:05, Terry Carroll wrote:
>
> > Thanks to you both.  I think I may need to step up my "development
> > environment" beyond emacs and a command line.
>
>      Actually, if you're having problems with debugging your problem,
> what you should step up is your approach to debugging/testing.

That's a fair point.

However, most of the programming I'm doing right now is the Python
Challenge!  Not really programs I'm going to keep around and maintain.

But I think my lesson here is to have two programming modes: one where
I'm writing programs known to be throwaways (like these Python Challenge
ones), where I don't do unit-testing and also don't use that "__name__ ==
"__main__" construct (what's the point of that in a throwaway, anyway?);
and one where I'm writing a keeper, where I build tests.

Thanks!