[Tutor] OOP fundamentals

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 19 23:33:01 CEST 2005

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Ed Hotchkiss wrote:

> Thanks Danny! Tommorrow I am off to get "Programming for Python, 2nd
> edition" and learn everything - all of it, before I even bother with
> Sockets.

Hi Ed,

I'd disrecommend Programming Python if you're a beginner.  Programming
Python is really more of an expedition over Python's features than a
tutorial.  Furthermore, it's a very thick and heavy book, and I have
something of a grudge against books that make me strain my wrists.  I
personally think that "Learning Python" will be a better fit for you.

I also have heard good things about Alan Gauld's "Learn to Program Using
Python", which is an expansion of the online tutorials you've been reading
into book form.  And I've heard that the author is pretty responsive.
*grin*

For more information, you can take a look at:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntroductoryBooks

for book reviews of other introductory texts.

But finally, you may also want to look at:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Programmers
    http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

You might be able to get pretty far from the online tutorials there.

Good luck!