[Tutor] Community documentation framework?

Henry Finucane h.finucane at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 00:41:48 CEST 2006

On 8/6/06, Bob Nienhuis <bob.nienhuis at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Have you had the experience of finding a nifty bit of code on the
>  web, trying it out, and then discovering that technique
>  only worked in version X.YY, or requires module Z that
>  is no longer available?
>
>  Well perhaps we can address this situation.
>
>  I would like to see an online system that facilitates
>  the collaborative production, cataloging and updating of
>  community documentation. See an article, "Rethinking Community
>  Documentation" by Andy Oram
> <http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2006/07/06/rethinking-community-documentation.html>.
>
>  Features I would like to see:
>      A Wikipedia-like capacity for community update-ability/modifiability
>      of documentation submissions.
>
>      Database for cataloging available packages, modules, FAQs, How-Tos
>      tutorials, cookbook code fragments etc. Should have capacity for
>      developers to add and others to add to their contributions.
>
>      Oram suggests a rating system for submissions so users can assess
>      the quality of submissions, and point to parts that need modification
>      or clarification..
>
>      Might use TurboGears, Django AJAX or other web framework?
>
>  I think main Python documentation is great, but there is a lot
>  of stuff out there that isn't documented so well, or needs
>  updating. This project is intended to adress that need.
>
>  What would you like to see?

Sounds neat. Personally, I would like to see a bit of consolidation in
ways you can look for help. There are oodles of web forums, the Tutor
mailing list, the comp.lang.python mailing list, tutorials scattered
all about the web, etc. Something like this could either prompt
consolidation (good), or simply create more fragmentation (not so
great, but acceptable).

It all depends on how it gets advertised.

--H.F.
My penguin is bigger than yours, mister...