[Tutor] Pyexe

Liam Clarke ml.cyresse at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 12:16:01 CET 2006

Hi Ryan,

It took me about a year to cotton onto it as well.

So, I wrote a script for my friend, and wanted to send it as an exe.

The script I wrote was called disco_spider.py.

I assume you've installed py2exe?

What I then had to do was create another Python script called setup.py
in the same directory as disco_spider.py, this is what setup.py looks
like:

from distutils.core import setup
import py2exe

setup(
    # The first three parameters are not required, if at least a
    # 'version' is given, then a versioninfo resource is built from
    # them and added to the executables.
    version = "0.5.0",
    description = "Custom built copier of things.",
    name = "Disco Spider",

    # targets to build
    console = ["disco_spider.py"]
    )

After that, I open up a DOS prompt, and go to the directory
disco_spider.py and setup.py are in and I type:

python setup.py py2exe

at the command prompt. This runs py2exe, which, if everything goes
well, creates a subfolder called dist. Everything in dist is what you
need to distribute your script.

Good luck,

Liam Clarke