[Tutor] Guessing a number with limited no. of tries game gone wrong.

Ros Daniel rozdaniel at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 28 19:20:18 CEST 2006

I am a newbie at Python. Just bought Python Programming 2nd ed. by Michael
Dawson. While I understand the concepts as the book is going through the
code, and I am able get the same results, when it comes to applying what
I've learned to the exercises at the end of each chapter, I seem to be
stumped. I think my logic is off somehow. I am able to get the program to
work if it's just a case of the user guessing the random number, and then
being told they guessed correctly in a certain number of tries. It's when
the user has a limited number of guesses that I am stumped. Either I get an
infinite loop, or the program will say I guessed right in a certain number
of tries, but the guess is not correct

Can anyone explain to me what I'm missing and doing wrong? Thanks.

# Modify the Guess My Number game so that the player has a limited number of
guesses. If the player fails to guess in time, the program should display an
appropriately chastising message.

import random

print "Welcome to the new and improved 'Guess My Number' game."
print "This time you have a limited number of guesses, so guess wisely.\n"

the_number = random.randrange(100) + 1

guess = int(raw_input("Take a guess: "))
tries = 1

# guessing loop
while (guess != the_number):
    if tries > 5:
        break
    elif guess > the_number:
        print "Lower..."
    elif guess < the_number:
        print "Higher..."

    guess = int(raw_input("Guess again:"))
    tries += 1

# message of congratulations
print "You guessed it! The number was", the_number
print "And it only took you", tries, "tries!\n"